- We are a makerspace, ever-evolving.
We believe in the power of caring first, thinking, designing and making.
We train our students to be real life superheroes and engage real world problems through their unique passions and interests. We instill positive mindsets, enable student makers to freely design their strongest superhero selves and become agents of change. We empower student makers to transform themselves and their communities using their creativity.ties.
- The STEAM Lab is a makerspace where learners of all abilities use multiple disciplines to develop a love of learning and inquire about their world. Students question, wonder, observe, and explore; create things, both analogue and digital; fail, try, fail, try again, and ultimately succeed at their own pace, becoming skilled with a variety of tools in the process.
- The STEAM Lab is an online classroom as much as a physical one. It strives to avoid being defined by its walls, daily schedules or even whether school is in session. It is available any time, any where there is a curious child with an internet-connected device (or an imagination).
- The STEAM Lab is rigorous and demanding academically, but balanced by creativity, imagination, inspiration and fun.
- The STEAM Lab is a unique extension of the regular classroom where Lab facilitator collaborates closely with faculty, Principal, RTI tutors and Instructional Coach to create lessons that enrich and remediate based on student strength and needs in Core Math, Science with cross disciplinary implications. Students at all levels receive the enrichment and assistance they deserve.
- The STEAM Lab takes advantage of plentiful resource and grant money, collaborates with local and national businesses, connects with district resources, other schools around Bullitt County, the Louisville area, Kentucky and the world; the Lab calls on specialists in STEAM fields to share knowledge and talent, all to benefit Old Mill students and the community.
- The STEAM Lab produces learners who will achieve everything mentioned above (and more) within a knowledge framework informed by Common Core state and national standards for science, math, art and technology. The resulting foundation prepares them for the rest of their academic career at Old Mill and beyond.